U13-3 Canada Bay Cannons v Northern Lights
In perfect conditions for footy, our Cannons ventured north to take on the Northern Lights.
While victory eluded us, the boys should be proud of their efforts – the Cannons raised the bar and took it to their highly fancied opponents.
A slow start by the boys saw the Light post three unanswered goals in the first quarter.
At the first break, coaches Andrew & Ben gave the boys a bit of rev up and the result was a highly competitive second quarter.
The boys scrambled hard in defence and posted the goal of the day.
Awesome lead up work from Finn who got a great handball onto Rameez who in turn handballed it onto our sharp shooter Harry who managed to get the Sherrin through for a valuable goal.
Both Jack and Nirvan were unlucky not to have posted goals which would have narrowed the gap.
The third quarter was another close tussle where we posted another goal, but couldn’t quite rein in the lead.
Although the game was gone, our Cannons never gave up and dug deep in that final quarter.
When the fulltime siren sounded, the Cannons made the Northern Lights work hard for their victory.
Coach Andrew described the result as a “terrific loss”, as our Cannons put in a performance based on guts and determination.
Andrew & Ben were extremely proud of ALL the boys as they ALL had outstanding games, where every player had a role to play.
The most pleasing aspect was the improvement shown from our last few games and the fact that not one Cannons player gave up!!!
Andrew made special mention to the following boys on their efforts,
- Finn, stayed on his man all game and spoiled many marking opportunities.
- Ollie S, always strong in the backline but a revelation as centre forward.
- Viren, went hard for the loose ball in the ruck.
- Oliver R, another back who chased hard and spoilt many scoring chances.
- Jack, another tireless effort in the ruck and forward line.
- Harry, chimed in with a couple of handy goals.
- Chris, copped a few bumps but bounced back and tackled nonstop.
- Daniel, never gave up tackled hard, smothered kicks and got some great clearing kicks away.
- Phoenix, worked hard in defence and shepherded well throughout the game.
- Pat R, when you’re tackled by Pat, you know it.
- Pat C, worked hard in both attack and defence.
- Jacob, was heavily involved in the ruck, toiled hard and was never far away from the action.
Second runner for man of the match up went to Jamie, who just goes nonstop in every game he plays. He tackled his heart out and gave the opposition no respite whatsoever.
First runner up went to Nirvan, who showed great hunger in contesting for the ball.
Man of the match, went to Rameez, who had an outstanding game, tackled hard, played fast, was involved in everything and used his brain when attacking the ball.
Awesome game Rameez, a deserved winner indeed.
This is one gutsy & courageous footy team, despite the loss the boys can hold their heads up high.
I almost forgot to mention that we were way down on troops, so makes this performance even more special!
- Match report by John