U12 Youth Girls: Round 9

U12 Youth Girls v Glebe

Round 9, Jubilee Oval

Match report by Ian; pics by Ronika
The Cannons were treated to a glorious winter morning at Jubilee Park to take on the Greyhounds. This week Tamara was responsible for running duties nursing a broken finger, but otherwise Cannons had a full complement of players. White picket fences, glinting sunshine against the backdrop of ANZAC bridge all become secondary when the game got underway. 

The first quarter was a fierce contest, with plenty of hard running and physicality. The ever reliable Molly put the Cannons first goal on the board after the Greyhounds snuck away to an early lead. The balance of play started to even out with some mighty tackling from Skye and a few scything runs from India brushing aside would be tacklers. Ruby as always, dominating the ruck and collecting plenty of loose ball around the ground. Molly eventually evened the scores with another booming goal to finish the quarter.

The second quarter was a true spectacle with the Cannons playing some of their best footy this year!! India again breaking free from the congestion and Molly showing incredible poise banging the ball long towards the Cannons goal. In one passage, Molly fetched her own kick 3 times! The Cannons dominance continued and India snapped a smart goal over her shoulder in the goal square. Hannah followed up with a high mark and kicked truly later in quarter. Lucy and Sienna made some telling intercepts and made some big tackles to keep the Greyhounds from scoring. The Cannons went forward again late in the quarter with India marking 25 metres from goal. She did her best Ben Brown impression after the siren, but fell just short.

The Cannons lost the momentum in the third quarter, with a few decisions going against them. They stuck at it, with Lila in particular fighting against the odds to tackle a player almost twice her height! Eventually, the Cannons started to push the ball forward and Hannah again kicked a lovely goal. Ruby, started to have more influence around the ground and Katie started breaking the big packs open with her speed and strength. 

The Cannons went into the final quarter with a two goal deficit and were implored by the coach to run, run and RUN!!! Katie continued her fearless attack on the football with Skye shepherding her pathway out of defence. Sienna made a couple of goal opportunities with her clever evasive skills in the forward line, but still, all the effort wasn’t showing on the scoreboard. Katie again broke free of the back half with another bullocking run and long kick. India swooped onto the loose ball and went on a long run down the outer flank, with three perfect bounces! 

Suddenly the momentum had changed. Niamh joined Katie and the Cannons backline became a fortress, with big tackles and relentless running from both players. The ball zipped forward for the Cannons and Cationa kicked her first goal that made it 5 points the difference – with players rushing from everywhere to celebrate. The Cannons confidence was bubbling now and the ball was continuously rushing forward. Molly eventually launched a banana kick through for a goal and put the Cannons in front for the first time in the game. Unfortunately though, the Cannons had to battle the increasingly blustery wind, and when the rub of the green was with the Greyhounds, they were able to add two late goals to seal the game. 

In wrap up, this was definitely the Cannons best game of the year, showing plenty of fight and desire to take the lead in a game deep into the last quarter. Even more impressive, it was a team performance with every player contributing. It’s great to see the girls confidence grow week by week with everyone’s improved kicking skills really on show. Great running and effort for the whole game – well done again, girls!